At the BREAD OF LIFE RESCUE MISSION, we believe that every person has inherent value because they are created in the image of God. Our mission is to practically touch the lives of those who are hurting, hungry, poor, and homeless with the love and grace of Jesus Christ.
We offer a safe and nurturing environment where food, shelter, clothing, discipleship, rehabilitation, and vocational training resources are given to those who are seeking a better quality of life for themselves and their families.
- BREAD OF LIFE RESCUE MISSION is a California non-profit religious corporation formed in 1999 and first opened its doors at its current location (1919 Apple Street in Oceanside) in 2002.
- Bread of Life serves the poor, hungry, and homeless in a six-city area comprised of Oceanside, Vista, Carlsbad, San Marcos, Escondido, and Encinitas.
- Bread of Life operates a 50-bed overnight shelter during the “shelter season” — from December 1 through March 31. We are a designated City of Oceanside cold-weather over-night shelter.
- Bread of Life runs a soup kitchen 6 nights per week (7 nights per week during the shelter season), with most of the food being prepared and distributed completely by volunteers.
- The number of guests per night ranges from 50 (not shelter season) to 150 (shelter season).
- Bread of Life operates a multi-faceted food distribution operation, distributing packaged foods to approximately 5,000 individuals per month.
- Bread of Life is a member of The Alliance for Regional Solutions North County (the “Alliance”).
- Bread of Life administers mandatory case management services to its overnight guests during the shelter season.
- Owing largely to its case management program, the Alliance has reported in recent years that approximately half of its overnight guests have obtained traditional shelter — no longer members of the homeless population. Bread of Life has helped play a major role in this stunning accomplishment!