BREAD OF LIFE RESCUE MISSION serves the Poor, Hungry and Homeless in North San Diego County. Year round we provide warm evening meals, sack lunches, food boxes, clothing, personal care items and referral services. In additional, we offer our guests spiritual encouragement and facilitate new beginnings.
- BREAD OF LIFE RESCUE MISSION is a California non-profit religious corporation formed in 1999 and first opened its doors at its current location (1919 Apple Street in Oceanside) in 2002.
- Bread of Life serves the poor, hungry, and homeless in a six-city area comprised of Oceanside, Vista, Carlsbad, San Marcos, Escondido, and Encinitas.
- Bread of Life operates a “drug-free and sober” 50-bed overnight shelter during the “shelter season” — from December 1 through March 31. We are a designated City of Oceanside cold-weather over-night shelter.
- Bread of Life runs a soup kitchen 6 nights per week (7 nights per week during the shelter season), with most of the food being prepared and distributed completely by volunteers.
- The number of guests per night ranges from 50 (not shelter season) to 150 (shelter season).
- Bread of Life operates a multi-faceted food distribution operation, distributing low-cost packaged foods to approximately 10,000 individuals per month.
- Bread of Life is a member of The Alliance for Regional Solutions North County (the “Alliance”).
- Bread of Life administers mandatory case management services to its overnight guests 5 nights per week during the shelter season.
- Owing largely to its case management program, the Alliance has reported in recent years that approximately half of its overnight guests have obtained traditional shelter — no longer members of the homeless population. Bread of Life has helped play a major role in this stunning accomplishment!